Your retainer has been specially designed to help maintain the improvements we have achieved together. Shortly after the braces are removed, the teeth can shift as they are used. The teeth will need support, and your cooperation in wearing your retainer as directed will be important:
- Your retainer should be worn as directed full time. It can be removed for special circumstances such as meals, brushing, or active sports, but try to wear it as much as possible. As the bite stabilizes, the hours required are often reduced.
- Certain teeth may feel pressure and become sore for a couple of days. This is normal because the retainer is adjusted to make minor improvements in the bite, such as space closure or moving a tooth.
- Brush your retainer with toothpaste and cool water at least twice a day. A fresh and clean retainer is healthier and more comfortable. Rinsing with mouthwash can freshen its taste.
Your retainer is durable, but needs "tender loving care" in order to do its job.
- Please do not bend the wires. Excessive flipping of the retainer with the tongue causes premature wire breakage.
- Store it in your case when not in use! Do not leave it where it might be damaged, thrown away, bent, broken or played with by small children or pets.
- Please keep your retainer away from heat or hot water. Unfortunately, plastic can warp or distort, making your retainer not fit properly.
- A damaged or lost retainer may have to be replaced. Insurance plans do not cover replacement costs. A separate payment will be required.
If for some reason, you cannot wear your retainer as suggested, please let us know so that the adjustments can be double checked. We want to do everything possible to help you succeed in this final, but important phase of treatment.
As we grow and mature, everything undergoes change. Some minor shifting and settling of our teeth is expected. Proper retainer wear will keep these changes to a minimum. If there are any questions regarding your new retainers, please feel free to ask. Thank you in advance for your help and cooperation.